Friday, January 07, 2005

Getting started

My daughter has a blog. My niece has a blog. Now I have a blog. I don't really know what I'll do with it, but I have it. I slipped past 50 a few years ago now, but I used that as a screen name for Instant Messenger and kind of liked the ring of it. It turned into more of a downhill slide than a little slip. I'm pretty well up to date on technology. I have been fascinated with computers since the early eighties. Started out with a Vic20, then a 286, 386, 486, pentium, then switched to AMD processors. Now I have an AMD AthlonXP 3000 processor in my main home computer, an Mobile AthlonXP 3000 plus on my laptop. The only holdout for Intel is my old Celeron 700 laptop that my wife uses with her embroidery sewing machine. They are all networked together and all that seems to work pretty well.

I used to build all my own machines, but now it is cheaper to buy than build. I've never really been into gaming on the computer. But I can spend hours tweaking an Access database to get it to do what I want. The only problem is finding enough time to do anything. That may turn into a problem with this blog, easy to start, but it requires time to update. That's it for now from the heartland in central Illinois.

4 comments:

Meg: said...

Welcome to the addiction!

letti said...

hi there! i came here via meg's blog..she was one of the very first people to comment on my blog when i first started so i thought i'd drop by yours to say "welcome to blogging"!!!

letti.blogspot.com

kate said...

Hi Uncle Slipping Past 50! (In case you want to maintain anonymity I won´t name names!) Anyway, once you get into this blogging thing, lack of time is not too much of an issue, ha ha. Whenever anything even remotely interesting (or not) happens to you, you start thinking about what you´re going to say in your blog about it...

Anonymous said...

Evidently when you slipped, you slid a long way. I stumbled past 60 a while back and since I am a very close relation, I know how far back to look for you. Congratulations for trying new tricks. If Mom and Dad were computer literate and had access to a computer, they could keep track of almost the whole family without ever leaving Vails Mills. Should you be bragging about your equipment in your very first posting, or isn't this going to be that kind of blog? I have been notoriously bad about writing, so I appreciate your blog as having good potential for me keeping up with the folks in the west central mid west.
Maybe if I can overcome my anti-registration phobia, I can regularly comment on whatever you choose to share with the world.